Indians in France  

RSS | Chat | Profile | Scrapbook | Private messages | Search | Members | Groups | Log inRegister
Mixed marriages, between an Indian and a French
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IndiansInFrance.Com Forum Index -> Indo - French cultural exchange -> Mixed couples
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrs_loly
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Aquarius
Chinese zodiac: Tiger

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Mixed marriages, between an Indian and a French Reply with quote

Hi Sourav,

this is the first time i am coming here and i think that you are the one who can help me out though we don't know each other...
Well i will tell you now what is my situation.
I am a french lady and I want to marry an Indian man and we would like to live in France.
The thing is that right now he is in New Delhi, he can't speak french but he wants to learn for sure and i don't know what i have to do to help him out to come here and find a job also.
You said one day in a post that you got married to a french woman.
Did you got married here in France or there in India?
What was your process to come to France?
and how did you find a job here?
how can he learn french also here?
Please, help me with all this and i'm in a hurry now...sorry !

Last edited by mrs_loly on Mon May 19, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Profile | Private message | Email | Scrapbook
Sourav
IIF Founder & President

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac: Horse

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the community Mrs. Loly.

In our case, we got married in India, in a court of Delhi. You can visit India (check with the visa office which visa you need for a marriage), stay there for a few moths, see if things are working well between you and then go for a marriage.

For the marriage, you first have to apply in the local court of your boyfriend with necessary papers (check first what papers you will need), then wait for a month (in India, they keep the marriage notice in display for a month) and once everything is fine, register your marriage.

Once your marriage is registered in the court, go to the French embassy and get your "livre de famille". You will have to produce a translated copy of your marriage certificate for that, as well the translated copy of his birth certificate. Check with your embassy for further details.

He can then apply for a visa, and once in France, go to the prefecture for other paper works.

In all cases, you need to spend a few months in India.

There might be another way for him to come to France and then you guys get married here, but I don't know about that, check with your prefecture and if you get to know anything, thanks for updating us on this.

For learning french, tell him to start taking crash courses in alliance française of Delhi.

For job, once he is married to you, he will have all the right to do any job as per as qualifications, like any body else.

Cheers.

mrs_loly
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

So you mean that we can marry there, in New Delhi and then, both come back to France???

Well, when you came some years ago, laws were differents regarding to people who were getting married with french citizens, i think that now with the new president we have for one year it will not be that easy but i wish i can follow this process you told me, if you have any other information to tell me, i would be glad to get them...

Did you come to France before getting married, i mean did you get the tourist visa or did you get the fiance visa?

Thx for your reply

Sourav
IIF Founder & President

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in our case it was a bit different. My wife was a student in India, and we stayed in India at the beginning. The plan to move to France came later, not before we have stayed more than 5 years in India together.

I have told about getting married in India since I know the procedures that way. And being Indian, I am more comfortable dealing with the offices of India. But I'm sure there will be laws to do things on the other way.

I have traveled to France many times, before and after the marriage, before on tourist visas and after with the spouse visa.

Don't worry for the new laws ... laws are made for a reason, and for a good reason. Genuine couples shouldn't worry about that.
Wink

Universal
Major

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Marriage : Indian French ! Reply with quote

mrs_loly wrote:
Hello,

So you mean that we can marry there, in New Delhi and then, both come back to France???

Well, when you came some years ago, laws were differents regarding to people who were getting married with french citizens, i think that now with the new president we have for one year it will not be that easy but i wish i can follow this process you told me, if you have any other information to tell me, i would be glad to get them...

Did you come to France before getting married, i mean did you get the tourist visa or did you get the fiance visa?

Thx for your reply

Salut Sylvie !

I told you, Sourav will be able to give you the ideas and he is always happy to help and guide people. So you see he woke up this morning and there he immediately answers you. Sourav and me already discussed some time back to post complete details of such marriage and the required documents and formalities for that. So I am sure Sourav will soon compile all the details and post it here on this site. But as you know certain rules keep changing. In any case we do need to have a complete information on such marriage as there is no other site which mentions and explains this topic, in complete detail. We are sure there will be many in times to come who need such information and guidance.

In the meanwhile let me explain you what ever ideas and infos I have collected.

Moreover, you may get in touch with Sonia as she has recently been calling the French Consulate and the Embassy and she has also collected many information on marriage between a French and Indian, and she can update you with more details and explain you precisely.

In any case, you must remember that it's almost same if you have to marry in France and all the procedures are same ..the papers are almost same. The main difference is that...in France it is your Mairie which is concerned, and if you get married in India it is the French Embassy or Consulate you have to deal with.

I am copying here some information.....as it is often required by many in similar situation. I have come across similar questions on various other sites from other people and by posting here this information I am going to suggest others to visit this site for marriage related questions and information.

Sylvie you may also ask your fiancé to visit this site ( indiansinfrance.com) , and since this is in English, your Indian fiancé can read it himself and can also post questions as and when required.

Some Information on Indo Franco Marriage :

Le site de l’ambassade de France à Delhi : http://www.france-in-india.org

Le Consulat de France , Pondicherry :consul@consulfrance-pondichery.org

Le consulat de france , Mumbai :Silloo.MARKER@diplomatie.gouv.fr

1) Publication des bans
Doit être fait au consulat de Mumbai / Chennai/ Pondicherry ou à l’ambassade de Delhi.

Vous devez avoir chacun :

1/ un formulaire de publication des bancs dûment rempli. Ton fiance indien peut scanner le document et te l’envoyer.

2/ certificat médical prénuptial datant de moins de deux mois.

En Inde, il doit être demandé au médecin désigné par l’Ambassade de France.

En France, il peut être délivré par le médecin de votre choix.

3/acte de naissance, copie intégrale de l’acte de naissance datant, au jour du dépôt du dossier, de - de 3 mois et portant la mention de votre divorce ou l’acte de décès du précédent conjoint en cas de veuvage.

L'acte de naissance (birth certificate) ne sera délivré que par les autorités compétentes du lieu de naissance. C’'est à dire les autorités de la ville où vous êtes né chacun.

4/ copie de carte d'identité comportant la photographie.

5/ certificat de domicile : tous justificatifs utiles quant à l’adresse du domicile ou de la résidence des futurs époux

6/ certificat de nationalité française pour toi.

7/ certificat de celibataire ou divorce pour ton fiance.

8/ une attestation d'emploi et un justificatif de revenus pour toi.

9/ Quelques photos d’identité seront sans doute nécessaires.

10/ un extrait de casier judiciaire indien vierge pour fiance indien (certificate of non conviction) + traduction en français effectuée par un traducteur reconnu par l'Ambassade ou le Consulat de France concerné (ils doivent avoir une liste d'adresses)

11/ une copie légalisée de l'acte de mariage de tes parents + traduction

( Il ya des exceptions pour des papiers en certain case.

Une fois que vous aurez envoyé ou déposer tout ça au consulat/ Ambassade, elle entamera la procédure de publication des bans avec la mairie de ton domicile, et en Inde, dans la ville du ton fiance. (Marriage registeration office)

En tout, cela peut prendre au moins 45 jours au terme desquels le consulat/Ambassade te délivrera, si tout va bien, un certificat de non opposition au mariage.

2)Entretien privé avec le consulat

Vous devrez prendre rendez-vous pour avoir un entretien avec quelqu’un du consulat/Ambassade.
On vous posera des questions (à chacun en l'absence de l'autre) pour vérifier que votre amour /mariage est réel.

Après cet entretien, les services consulaires vous délivreront le Certificat de Capacité à Mariage, exigé par les autorités indiennes pour procéder au mariage mixte.

Vous devrez vous munir:

1/ Certificats de publication des bans et de non opposition au mariage fais par votre mairie de résidence en France et par l’Ambassade ou le Consulat du lieu de célébration du mariage.

Côté indien, une fois publiés les bans à l'Ambassade ou au Consulat de France concerné, le registrer office de fiance indien doit recevoir une notification de cette publication.

3) Mariage

Le consulat te délivrera donc un certificat de capacité au mariage, ce qui te permettra d'aller t’enregistrer auprès de la mairie de la ville où tu habites et voir pour célébrer le mariage.

N’oublies pas de t’adresser à l’office of the registrar of marriages pour le mariage civil.

Pense aussi à faire une procuration pour fiance Indian si tu doit repartir en France, afin qu’il puisse avoir le droit de récupérer le livret de famille et qu’il puisse éventuellement signer des papiers si nécessaire.

4 ) Transcription au Consulat/Ambassade Français

Une fois mariés, vous pourrez revenir tout les deux au consulat pour faire votre demande de transcription de votre mariage.

En plus des pièces que vous aurez déjà fournies, vous devrez vous munir:

1/ remplir le formulaire de demande de transcription (disponible à l’ambassade ou le consulat de France)
2/avoir la copie intégrale légalisée de l'acte de mariage indien de moins de trois mois + traduction en français.
3/le certificat de capacité à mariage (les services consulaires l'ont déjà puisqu'il l'ont fabriqué)

Cela te permettra fiance Indien d'avoir un visa de conjoint d'un ressortissant français.

C'est à dire qu’il sera légalement reconnu par la France, et vous obtiendrez un Livret de Famille français qui lui permettra d'avoir un visa "famille et vie privée" pour une durée de 3 mois.

Arrivés en France, vous aurez 2 mois pour demander une carte de long séjour "famille et vie privée".

Après 1 an de mariage, tu auras droit d’obtenir une carte de PIO (Person of Indian Origin) qui est un permis de séjour en Inde valable 15 ans et renouvelable. Elle te donnera les mêmes droits qu'un Indien à l'exception du droit de vote et équivaut à un visa de 15 ans, renouvelable. Elle coûte environ 200 €.
===============================================================

If any body else knows something more on this subject , please mention the changes or add according to your experience or information.

Bon Courage.....Best Wishes.

Razi (Mumbai).

Last edited by Universal on Mon May 19, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sourav
IIF Founder & President

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Razi

Thanks a lot for this informative post. In my case, we got married in 2000 and it's a long time for me remember all the details.

The way you have written this post, it's very specific, to the point, and I'm sure this post will help many in the future.

Thanks again for the detailed post, and thanks for the time you took to wrote this.

Cheers
Sourav

Last edited by Sourav on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

mrs_loly
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci beaucoup, thanks a lot for your reply...
i will try to get some more information regarding the wedding and what i need to get before going there...

see you later

Dhanyavad

ashwani.singla@yahoo.fr
IIF Vice President

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Marriage with an indian Reply with quote

Hi

The procedure mentioned by Razi is really in complete detail. I verified with one of my colleague who married to a person from madagasar and he proceeded exactly the same procedure in madagascar and finally her husband came here in decembre 07 ( after getting married in october 07 there ).

Best of luck.

Cheers

Ashwani

Medusa
Major

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I thought I'd add my own experience with the authorities regarding this matter too.
Since I am a British national, with a permenant residency in france and I am marrying an indian national, the rules are slightly different.

In fact, they are actually dare I say it (who knows, it might all go to pott yet!) easier than for a French person!!! believe it!

So, we are getting married in India under the Special Marriage Act 1954. This is basically the marriage act for people of different faiths, similar to a civil wedding ceremony here in any European country. It is also the most recommended and accpeted for non indian national by their own countries legal systems.

The Special Marriage Act is also accepted as is it in the UK. No translated documents needed or conversions. Since I am a Brit, and have the right to live and work in France, my spouse is granted entrance to the country too. I do not have to justify my marriage to him to the french courts, in the same why that if I married any other person legally in the UK, we would not have to re do it for France.
THis hence grants him entrance to France but not working papers or the the right to that.

Once we have the SPecial Marriage Act, we must go to the French Embassy in Delhi and apply for a short stay visa (with long extension possible). He will be given a 3month visa. As soon as he gets in France we have to go to the Prefecture. Then he will apply for a Carte de Séjour, which is granted for 1 year at first, you can then obtain a 5 year carte de séjour. After 5 years as a resident in France, he can apply for French nationality OR after 5 years of marriage to a Brit in a NON UK country, he can apply for a British passport. Whichever way, the doors are opened.

The hardest part, is during thre first meeting at the Prefeecture whe he applies for the first Carte de séjour. Basucally, he must show as much paperwork as possible, showing his education, his work expereince etc and show his willingness to work.... It is really down to the discretion of the person at the Prefecture, whetehr he recieves a carte de sejour with or wihtout the right to work!!!!

All of this was told to me by the French Embassy in Delhi in December 07. It is the process we are following. We may well come into troubles along theway (I seem to accumulate them non stop at the moment!) but I'll keep you all updated incase it benefits anyone else.

There is also another similar site for French people who love and or live in India www.franceinindia.com and there are other examples on here too (but in French).

Hope this helps!

Sandrine
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Virgo
Chinese zodiac: Rat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: visitors visa for my India boyfriend for France Reply with quote

Dear All,

Greetings to all and thank you kindly for putting this forum up. I just found it today and it is helpful because we are in the process of making a second visa request for my Indian boyfriend.
We applied for the first one in March and it was refused, and we were not given any responses as to why it was refused.

This time, I'm trying to do more things, so I have asked my friends and family to make motivation letters, where they express that they want to get to know him and show him France.
I'm also calling the Prefecture tomorrow to see if there is something more I must do on this end, on top of the Attestation d'Accueil.

And so reading this forum, I thought you possibly could give us some more advises maybe.?

I'll be heading to India in about 1 week, and we'll be requesting the visa together. I'm thinking about trying to get a meeting with the French consul so as to explain to him (on top of my and his motivation letter for the visa) as to why it is essential for both of us that he'll come to France.

Is there anything else that anyone of you could recommend at this stage? I'm not yet being ready to get married, and I need more time, this is also why I need him to come here so we can experience each other outside of the vacation time.

Any help and advice will be truly much appreciated.

Yours kindly,
Sandrine

SwatiSG
Major

Zodiac: Aries
Chinese zodiac: Cock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandrine,

I am not sure what visa you are applying for but I don't think it is a very good idea to state that your objectives so bluntly. Your best chance is to just get your boyfriend a normal tourist visa with all the documents that is required and nothing more. Believe me, the extra documents with motivation letters etc. are not going to help your case but it might make it more of a problem.

The authorities want to know that the person they are giving a visa has the means to travel to France and has an inclination to come back to India and will not stay on in France illegally. For this they primarily need good and sound financial details, good reasons why the person WILL NOT stay on in France ( i.e. decent job etc back in India- this can be proved by the letter from employer giving him a holiday and stating he is expected back in India) What you are doing by showing he has a girlfriend in France and all the supplementary letters is giving them reasons why he might decide to stay on in France now or later. This is counter-productive in your case because it is heightening the paranoia of illegal immigrants in France.

I myself have visited my husband's family in france several times before we got married where his family made the Attestation d'accueil for me but my relationship with their son is something we never mentioned and were much better off without it. Good luck!

aargee
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: visa for marriage Reply with quote

Dear swati,
Thank you for sharing your experiences.I am swimming around the same questions and trying to make up my mind as to which will be better venue for marriage,India (though in my case Indian consulate in Dubai) or in my boyfriend's Marie in France?Well,as far as he is concerned,it's no problem once he gets his no objection certificate,but will I be able to do so in France with a tourist visa?
Have you got your marriage registered in France?If yes,congratulations 'cos yours was the 1st post my sister mailed me when I was trying to find answes to my questions.It is a very helpful site and must thank Sourav for this.
Was it very difficult getting the documents appostilled in India?Do I have to presnt myself physically for this or my parents can do this for me?
Thanx again for sharing informations.
aargee

SwatiSG
Major

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the problem is that every City Hall, Town Hall and Prefecture in France will have their own way of dealing with things so it is impossible to give a precise idea of how things will go. I am sure it is the same factor almost everywhere....luck. There are a few general things like documents required etc. which will be the same everywhere in France but for other case specific questions, you should get advice from someone who knows the system.

We had our wedding registered in France because it was easier for us, since I was already here and there were some doubts as to whether the Town Hall in Paris and in particular in our arrondisement will accept to get us married if I was coming back later on a tourist visa.

Anyway, like I was just telling someone else on this forum, each case is different and it is best to get expert guidance. We consulted CIMADE and one of their branches that deals with problems faced by mixed couples and maybe you can contact them as well. They have a lot of experience in this sector and they can give you better advice because they might know better the Town Hall etc. that will be dealing with your case, if you are applying in France. Follow the link: http://amoureuxauban.net/

Good luck!

SwatiSG
Major

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and for the apostille, my parents were able to get it done for me and send me the documents in France. As far as I know, there are 4 offices in India that give the apostille, based in the 4 metropolitan cities. If you were not born in one of the metropolitan cities, it might be faster to get the birth certificate certified by the municipality of the place of birth first before seeking the apostille in one of the four cities.

aargee
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: appostille Reply with quote

Good news!Did you give them authorisation letter to do it on your behalf?Since I am working and almost all my leaves have been take,i was thinking of sending one of my parents to do the job for me.Do you take this appostille in only the original copies and afer that make photocopies of the documents including that appostille seal?
Would like your feedback on this,please.
Thank you,
aargee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IndiansInFrance.Com Forum Index -> Indo - French cultural exchange -> Mixed couples All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: